awb

Alicia Wright Brewster

Bear with me here. I haven't figured out this BookLikes thing yet.

Steelheart
Brandon Sanderson
Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas
John Scalzi, Wil Wheaton
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
Stephen King
A Princess of Mars (Barsoom, #1)
Edgar Rice Burroughs
Steelheart (Reckoners, #1)
Brandon Sanderson
Olympus Confidential (Plato Jones #2)
Robert B. Warren
In a Fix - Linda Grimes This book and I never quite connected. The premise was intriguing. The main character, Ciel, and her buddies are "adapters," people who take on other people's auras and thereby imitate their shapes, voices, and appearances.

Let's start with what I liked about the book. I liked Mark, a man Ciel has had a crush on for most of her life. I found her feelings for him and her hesitance to act on those feelings to be believable. I appreciated that her attraction to him was more than just physical and was based on a lifetime of encounters. It was easy to become invested in their relationship, and I rooted for them to get together.

I also liked Ciel's reactions to taking on new auras. While using an aura, her body took on characteristics of the person she was copying. For example, as Mina, Ciel was prone to crying because Mina is a crier. As "Boner Benjamin," Ciel was horny for no good reason. That was a fun and interesting side effect of adapting.

Sadly, I had trouble connecting with Ciel outside of her relationship with Mark. I suspect this was partially because she wasn't herself enough; she was too busy playing other people. Her internal monologue remained intact when she took on other auras, but without actions connected to that dialog—actions that were true to Ciel as opposed to the person she was playing at the time—I never bonded with Ciel.

I also had trouble with the fact that, although the issues presented in this book were serious, Ciel didn't take them seriously enough. Multiple times, she was held captive and her life was at risk. Her associates were also held captive from time to time, as well. These should have been intense situations. Ciel should have taken these situations seriously. But it didn't work out that way. The book was just too light-hearted for its content. Ciel kept her good humor too well, and she rushed into things without thinking. I never felt the suspense or urgency that these situations should have created.

Also, the theme of being held captive was a bit overused, in my opinion. It was like events kept repeating themselves. I wanted to see new scenarios from one chapter to the next, but I didn't get that. It was like an ongoing game of catch and release.

For those who want a light-hearted read with a unique premise, I might recommend this book. But it simply wasn't for me. I stopped reading at 50%.