awb

Alicia Wright Brewster

Bear with me here. I haven't figured out this BookLikes thing yet.

Steelheart
Brandon Sanderson
Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas
John Scalzi, Wil Wheaton
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
Stephen King
A Princess of Mars (Barsoom, #1)
Edgar Rice Burroughs
Steelheart (Reckoners, #1)
Brandon Sanderson
Olympus Confidential (Plato Jones #2)
Robert B. Warren
Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2) - Ilona Andrews Four stars may be a tad bit generous for this one. I definitely give it more than three stars. And I liked it significantly more than I liked Magic Bites, so I think that four stars reflects my feelings about this book more than three stars would.

I was bored with the first 30% or so of this book. I suspect that the authorship team believes that action scenes create interest. In my opinion, variety creates interest more than back-to-back-to-back action scenes. The first 30% of the book was all action, and I was bored. Then, the book slowed down a bit, and I got to meet the characters, and the issues facing the characters came into focus. Only then did I begin to care what happened to the characters.

Kate had more personality in Magic Burns than she did in Magic Bites. At times, her internal and external dialogues were witty. Amusingly, she displayed some familiarity with pop culture. She made jokes about Rambo and other pop culture references that were lost on other characters, which I found to be quite funny. In the first book, I failed to connect with Kate, in part because the authors went out of their way to make Kate super-duper mysterious. I cannot connect to a character whom I don't know. Although Kate's origins remained a mystery in Magic Burns, I was able to get to know her personality through her dialogue and through some tough decisions that she made. I liked her much better in this book.

On a side note: I was disappointed with an inconsistency that I identified. At some point, Kate removes all of her weapons in order to perform a bit of magic. Before she is reunited with her weapons, there is a reference about her sword smoking (which it generally does when Kate is pissed off). Wrong! Her sword is nowhere on the premises. This showed negligence on the authors' and editors' parts, but it did not impact the story at all, as Kate made no attempt to use the sword while it was somewhere else.