awb

Alicia Wright Brewster

Bear with me here. I haven't figured out this BookLikes thing yet.

Steelheart
Brandon Sanderson
Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas
John Scalzi, Wil Wheaton
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
Stephen King
A Princess of Mars (Barsoom, #1)
Edgar Rice Burroughs
Steelheart (Reckoners, #1)
Brandon Sanderson
Olympus Confidential (Plato Jones #2)
Robert B. Warren
Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1) - Laini Taylor Foul, wretched, dirty, freakin' cliffhanger! Are you kidding me with this? I want an ending! Give me a freakin' ending! I'm tempted to say a slew of awful things about this book to reflect how mad I am by the fact that its final words are "to be continued." But that would be wrong, because this book was beyond phenomenal.

At the open, we meet Karou, an artsy, blue-haired young woman with a troublesome ex-boyfriend. Karou's family is a tad untraditional, consisting of a group of chimaera, each appearing to be a mix of various animals. Karou doesn't know how she came to be in the care of these chimaera, as she is not one of them. Her adoptive father, Brimstone, a chimaera, is a collector of teeth. Humans come to his shop to trade teeth from various species, and Brimstone grants them wishes in return. Karou has no idea what Brimstone does with the teeth.

Brimstone's shop may be entered through various portals throughout the world. A beautiful male seraphim, with a strong distaste for Brimstone and the portals, comes into Karou's life when he sees her exit one of the portals. The seraphim, with whom Karou has an undeniable connection, helps Karou discover who she really is and how she came to be with these chimaera. And that's all I can tell you without getting all spoiler-y!

Let me just say that Ms. Taylor is a magnificent writer. The tale that she spins with her beautiful words is easy to see and feel. I was completely entranced by this book. It is a beautiful story of life, war, love, loss, and then love again. Bravo!