awb

Alicia Wright Brewster

Bear with me here. I haven't figured out this BookLikes thing yet.

Steelheart
Brandon Sanderson
Redshirts: A Novel with Three Codas
John Scalzi, Wil Wheaton
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
Stephen King
A Princess of Mars (Barsoom, #1)
Edgar Rice Burroughs
Steelheart (Reckoners, #1)
Brandon Sanderson
Olympus Confidential (Plato Jones #2)
Robert B. Warren
First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) - Darynda Jones The plot was mediocre. The only sufficiently developed character was the main character. There was nothing outstanding about the author's writing style. And yet . . . First Grave on the Right is an outstanding book. It's kind of like one of those movies that the critics might hate, but screw the critics, cause it's awesome. I easily give it five stars. I was thoroughly entertained. Bravo.

Charley Davidson is a private investigator and the grim reaper, and she can't seem to keep herself out of trouble for more than a couple of hours at a time. She is charming and sarcastic and, to those with whom she interacts directly, probably pretty annoying. As the grim reaper, her job is to bring peace to those among the deceased who have not yet passed to the other side, which sometimes requires investigating murders.

Charley's beautiful and sexy new love interest, Reyes, is not quite human and not quite ghost. She has no idea what he is, but he is hot, and their intimate scenes are plenty steamy. The big reveal regarding Reyes was rushed. One minute, we have no clue what he is. And then several pages later, Charley and Reyes have an intimate sexual moment, and all is miraculously revealed. But that's okay. Did I mention that I love this book?

On a side note: Thank you, Darynda Jones, for knowing the difference between the words "that" and "which." These words are not to be used interchangeably. And it makes me want to pull my hair out when (many) authors ignore or just don't recognize the difference. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

If you like supernatural investigations, hot guys, and witty banter, stop reading this review and read First Grave on the Right instead! It rocked.